Certainly true for me as a kid, though I did like reading books as well.
If great managers seem scarce, it’s because the talent required to be one is rare. Gallup finds that great managers have the following talents:
- They motivate every singleemployee to take action and engage them with a compelling mission and vision.
- They have the assertiveness to drive outcomes and the ability to overcome adversity and resistance.
- They create a culture of clear accountability.
- They build relationships that create trust, open dialogue, and full transparency.
- They make decisions that are based on productivity, not politics.
Solidarity and decency depend on a dense tissue of connection among people, on long-formed habits of the heart, on resilient cultures of common citizenship, and on leaders who marshal these virtues by their example.
Data from Endeavour Partners indicates that fitness trackers are no more sticky than new year’s resolutions.
Bad design makes it out into the World not through malicious intent but through no intent at all.
The attention to detail and steadiness of sign painting work blows our mind. You get that sense here in a very small dose, but if you have a chance be sure to check out Sign Painters because it will give you a respect and a healthy dose of inspiration for this unique section of the typographic fields.
(via John Boardley)